Becoming a Homeowner
The Family Selection Committee is actively seeking applicants to become Partner Families in Washington and Dodge Counties. HFH-W&DC will review three (3) distinct criteria for a potential Partner Family:
Your present housing must be considered inadequate as per the following:
– you are unable to meet city maintenance standards
– the building has structural problems
– the water, electrical, sewage, or heating systems are not functioning properly
– your rent is in excess of 30% of your gross annual income
You have not been able to obtain housing by conventional means
Ability to Pay
Home is actually bought from Habitat for Humanity of Washington and Dodge Counties.
You must demonstrate your ability to pay the mortgage:
– the monthly mortgage
– real estate taxes
You must be able to meet all other family financial obligations
– HFH-W&DC can help you develop a budget in order to determine eligibility
Willingness to participate
12 hours of “sweat equity” must be completed prior to review of your application.
250 hours of “sweat equity” must be completed by each adult per family before house can be occupied.
– this can include hours worked by extended family or friends
Maintenance and repairs are your responsibility after you move in
Maintain an ongoing relationship with HFH-W&DC after moving in, including:
– financial counseling
– household maintenance education
Use this chart to determine if you meet the income guidelines. Your family’s annual gross (before taxes) income must be below the maximum income shown in the chart below.